Sunday, November 29, 2009

What Am I Thankful For?

I love Thanksgiving. The holiday itself is wonderful for the time it allows for loved ones, the food and the break from school. But most importantly for the reminder that we have so much to be grateful for. I love how King Benjamin puts it in the Book of Mormon:
I say unto you ... that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has gratned that ye should live in peace one with another--
I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another--I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
Mosiah 2:20-21
King Benjamin goes on to explain that all God asks of us is to keep His commandments, and when we do so He immediately blesses us, so that we are in debt to Him again. His point is that we have no room to boast of ourselves, but only to be full of gratitude for all He has done and continues to do for us.

There's so much I'm thankful for. On the top of the list is the knowledge I've been given of the Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I've come to know my Father in Heaven and the sacrifice of His Only Begotten Son far better than I otherwise could, if I did not have the words of the prophets He has sent both in ancient and modern times. I'm also grateful for my family, and knowing that I can live with them throughout eternity. That understanding has helped us to work harder on our family relationships now, because we know it is an eternal investment. There are many more items on my list, but I'll keep it at that for now.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this video! Thanks for sharing your attitude of gratitude Jon. It was fun to see you and Lauren at the devotional tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great video. and what wonderful jonathan musings.

    ReplyDelete