Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Holy Scriptures: A Catalyst for Revelation

I love studying the scriptures. I love to do so because they are the direct word of God, and learning His word is a wonderful experience. Another reason I love studying the scriptures is because doing so gives Father in Heaven an opportunity to speak directly to me. Or rather, doing so puts me in the correct frame of mind so that I may receive the revelation He wants to give me.

Earlier this week I was asking Him for help with a particular matter, and He answered with the simple thought, "Alma 32," which is found in the Book of Mormon. Now, I've read this chapter perhaps hundreds of times. It contains a beautiful allegory on faith, comparing it to a seed which must be planted and nourished in order to grow. I decided that even though I was very familiar with the discourse, I should read it again and see if I could pull anything new out of it.

Father in Heaven taught me a great deal as I read the chapter this time. I didn't learn any new principles or doctrines - they were all just as I had understood them before. But I had never before applied them to the question I then had at this particular time, and it turns out that they were extremely applicable. I was filled with gratitude for the beauty of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and how it applies to every aspect of life. But I was even more grateful for my Father's love for me and being willing to teach and comfort me. He wants so badly for us to learn of Him so that we can become the type of people that can return to live with Him again. The scriptures, His word, provide such an opportunity for us to learn His ways and His doctrine, but perhaps more importantly they provide the opportunity for us to feel His love as He gives us very personal and direct revelation.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you said that reading the scriptures put you in a frame of mind to receive the guidance that the Lord wanted to give you. I often find that as I'm reading, I need to open my heart and mind to the Lord's revelation. I need to make place for it in my heart and also in my day. The Lord couldn't have comforted you if you hadn't made time for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you say is so true. I've also observed that even when I'm undeserving and not focused on seeking answers, the Lord, in His great mercy and love for us, will at times give revelation and direction that hasn't even been asked for. (Thundering to me to "Go on a mission!" when, as an almost-21 year old BYU co-ed, I hadn't even asked Him the question.)

    ReplyDelete