Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ

There's a bit more that needs more that needs to be added to the last post. God calls and gives authority to prophets and apostles in our day, just as He did in ancient times. With those prophets, He has always given ways for us to test their validity. In Matthew 7, the Savior teaches us how we can discern between true and false prophets. He tells us that "Ye shall know them by their fruits," or by the works that they bring forth.

The fruit of the prophet Joseph Smith is the Book of Mormon. He was directed, by an angel of God, to where an ancient record was buried. The record contained the writings of ancient prophets that lived here in the Americas. By the power of God, Joseph Smith translated the record into English, and it is known as the Book of Mormon.

I cherish the Book of Mormon. One of my favorite passages is 2 Nephi 25:26, where the prophet Nephi shares his love for Christ. "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, and we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." I love the Book of Mormon because of my Savior's love that is manifest to me as I study His words therein.

Now, saying the Book of Mormon is God's word does not mean that the Bible is not. We love and study from the Bible regularly. The Bible contains God's word given through His ancient prophets in the Middle East, and the Book of Mormon contains His word given through His ancient prophets in the Americas. God loves all of His children, and therefore gives His word to all who will listen, both anciently and today. We should rejoice at the opportunity to receive more of His word (see 2 Nephi 29:6-14).

We Mormons tend to put so much emphasis on the Book of Mormon because it is the fruit of Joseph Smith. We can study it and ask God if it truly is His word, just as we can do with the Bible. But if the Book of Mormon is true, then that means that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. If Joseph Smith is a prophet, then the church he founded, under Christ's direction, is the true Church of Jesus Christ, restored in its fullness. That is why we emphasize the Book of Mormon so much - it contains the same gospel truths the Bible contains, but its implications run far deeper.

I testify that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, and that it was brought forth by God's power. Through it, and all that comes with it (as mentioned above), I have developed a relationship with my Father in Heaven that I could not have otherwise attained. He wants all of His children to have that, and He has provided the way. That way is through His Son, Jesus Christ, who gives His word through His prophets, both ancient and modern.

1 comment:

  1. Anyone who reads the Book of Mormon with a humble heart will grow closer to Heavenly Father and Christ. I first gained my own testimony that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true church by reading it. One year, I made a goal to study it daily. As I did this diligently, a knowledge that God was real and that this church was His came gradually. It took work and I had to sacrifice that time to read but the knowledge and peace I have gained was well worth it. I know that the Book of Mormon was written to help all of God's children come closer to Christ. I have come closer to Him by reading its pages.

    ReplyDelete