Sunday, December 27, 2009

Spirit of Christ

The older one becomes, the more one grows to understand what is truly important to himself or herself. When I was younger, the biggest thing about Christmas was the presents that I received. I had the joy of being able to spend Christmas this year with some of my siblings and their families, and it was glorious. I didn't receive much by way of presents, but the presents I did receive were more than enough, because just spending time with them was the important thing. 


Where do I spend my time and energy? Do I focus my life on the things that are truly important to me? If someone asked me what is most important in my life, I would readily tell them that my God and my family are the most important to me. But is that where I focus the majority of my time? Right now, it's not possible for me to spend the majority of my time with God and family, because work and school simply take a lot of time. So that is something I need to work out, to make the most of the time that I do have available for God and family.


I'm grateful for the perfect example of my Savior, Jesus Christ, whose birth we celebrate at Christmas. He understood what was most important, and placed His efforts appropriately (see Luke 10:38-42). I believe that He rejoices when He sees us focus on that which is important to Him - those things of eternal significance. 


1 comment:

  1. Your post reminded me of something from the talk, "What have I done for someone today?" in the last General Conference by President Monson. He said, "We become so caught up in the busy-ness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the 'thick of thin things.' In other words, too often we spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes."

    ReplyDelete